- What kinds of public transportation are available to and from Fort Knox?
While there are discussions and studies ongoing regarding the establishment of a regional bus service, at this point in time there is limited public transportation available in the region. However, finding a rideshare or carpool opportunity should not be a problem.
- Are there adequate public schools in the area?
There are excellent schools available in the area. County and Fort Knox school systems include grades K-12, and there are several highly regarded private schools available. See the Resource page for more information.
- My family and I enjoy eating in nice restaurants, what can I expect near Fort Knox?
There are many excellent culinary choices available throughout the Heartland. Visit Taste of the Heartland to find out more.
- My husband and I enjoy the theater and other cultural events where we currently live. Are there cultural venues available near Fort Knox?
The Heartland offers a myriad of cultural opportunities, and nearby Louisville even more. Whether your tastes run toward music, legitimate theater, art or museums, you can find it here.
- I worry about my family's safety. What can you tell me about crime in the area?
The crime rates in the Heartland are considered low, and reflect those most often found in rural areas. In fact the Elizabethtown Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes Elizabethtown, Radcliff, Hardin and LaRue counties, was named the 17th safest metropolitan area in the country according to the 13th annual Morgan Quitno Awards for America's Safest Cities. 344 metropolitan areas were included in the survey.
- My wife and I are living in a great house, in a very good neighborhood. We're worried that we won't be able to find a similar house, at an affordable price, in a compatible area. What's the housing market like in Kentucky?
If you are moving from an area with high cost housing you will be pleasantly surprised, by the prices of the homes, the size of the lots and the quality of construction.
- My family has numerous medical problems. Are there adequate medical professionals, as well as facilities, in the area?
The Heartland offers a wide variety of health care facilities, and those of nearby Louisville are among the finest in the nation. You and your family should not have to travel far to receive outstanding medical support. To learn more visit our lifstyle profile Staying Healthy in the Heartland on the Community Info page.
- What can you tell me about tax rates in the area?
The Kentucky sale's tax rate is 6%, comparable to many other states. The maximum state income tax rate is 6% on income over $75,000. Overall, Kentucky rates among the lowest (18th) for percentage of taxed income. Property tax rates are reasonable, and with lower home prices often much lower than those of urban areas.
- I do not currently own a home, and am interested in the availability and cost of rental properties in the area.
There are apartments, town homes and single-family homes available to rent in the local market. Costs vary, but are generally very affordable.
- I've got small children in day care. Are there adequate, licensed day care facilities in the area?
There are a wide variety of affordable day care options available in the area. We will be adding a listing of local child-care centers to our resource database in the near future.
- I've always lived in an urban area, and I've heard all kinds of horror stories about how backwards and "country" Kentucky is. What's the truth of the matter?
People in the Heartland are pretty much like folks anywhere, with a wide range of education, income and personal interests. While there is definitely a large rural population, the stereotypes portrayed in movies and on television are largely false.
- I'm a fitness nut, and so is my wife. We spend at least an hour a day in the gym. What kinds of fitness facilities are available in the area, and are they affordable?
Fitness centers are easily accessible and affordable all over the area. Plus, Fort Knox offers several excellent fitness facilities free of cost to Fort Knox employees and dependents. Hiking and other outdoor recreational opportunities abound. With good roads and minimal traffic, getting to any of these venues will be quick and easy.
- I'm extremely fashion conscious, and love to shop for the latest styles. Will I be able to easily indulge this passion in Kentucky?
National department stores are available for shopping in the Heartland, plus there are numerous boutiques and specialty shops. Nearby Louisville offers shopping choices that rival most large cities.
- Much of my time is spent sitting in traffic jams during my morning and afternoon commutes. What is the traffic situation like around Fort Knox?
While traffic delays are possible during morning and evening rush hours, these are minimal compared to most locations. In fact, there are plenty of places to live in the Heartland where the drive to Fort Knox should take thirty minutes or less.
- Religion plays a large part in my family's life, and we are very active in our current church. Are there nearby places of worship that will adequately address our spiritual needs?
Places of worship are plentiful in the Heartland. To learn more visit our Resource page and search the "Worship" category.
- I'm a member of a racial minority, and I take great pride in my people and my heritage. I'm worried that in moving to Kentucky I'll find myself isolated from others like myself. What can you tell me about the racial diversity of the area?
The area around Fort Knox takes pride in having some of the most diverse racial makeup in all of Kentucky. In fact, you can find people from all over the world living, and thriving in the Heartland.
- If we move to Kentucky, my spouse will be giving up his private sector job to come with me. What are the prospects of his finding a similar job in the Fort Knox area?
Fort Knox is the major employer in the area, offering many potential job opportunities for both civil servants and contractors. Additionally, the Heartland has attracted a large number of other businesses and industries. Nearby Louisville also offers a full spectrum of employment possibilities. One Knox and community leaders are working on initiatives to help family members find adequate employment. To learn more about employment resources and services visit our Resource page and search the "Employment" category.